[Standards] User *ing formats and Atom. Was: inactive XEPs

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jul 16 19:49:45 UTC 2007

Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 13:37 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Andreas Monitzer wrote:
>>> [..]
>>> Most of the inactive ones are PEP-based, which itself takes a lot of
>>> time to be implemented, and so it doesn't make any sense to work on
>>> those any further until this is resolved.
>> Well, true -- all those "User *ing" specs. Last year sometime Jean-Louis
>> Seguineau suggested that we might want to work with people outside the
>> Jabber realm on Atom extensions for those (rather than making our own
>> little formats for everything). I'm open to that but haven't yet figured
>> out who to engage in that kind of conversation.
>
> I don't see anything particularly wrong with defining our own little
> formats for these pieces of information.

I don't either. They can always be translated to some nice Atom
extension formats if someone ever defines those. Plus it seems that
Jean-Louis isn't here anymore to complain if we move forward with
non-Atom formats. ;-)

> While I absolutely love the
> Atom format, I don't know what we would gain from defining the
> additional elements on top of Atom instead of directly on PEP. If there
> are other formats in the same realm, we should probably provide sensible
> mappings, though. Remember why we chose our own location spec over the
> RFC...

/me nods

> That said, we /should/ finalize our efforts in the Atom over pubsub for
> various other uses. Such as blog items and other typically feed like
> transport (flickr, delicious, etc).

Agreed. Once we have the next round of updates to XEP-0060 finished, I
will move forward on draft-saintandre-atompub-notify-05 at the IETF.

/psa