[Standards] XEP-0047 (Flow rate control for IBB)

William Voorsluys williamvoor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:45:40 UTC 2007

Hello,

> > But, according to the XEP, it is not allowed to include any inner XML
> > stanza on the <iq> of type RESULT used as ACK:
> >
> > <iq from='juliet at capulet.com/balcony' to='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
> > type='result' id='ibb1'/>
>
> That's just an example.
> The RFC allows zero or one child element in IQ result stanzas.
> This would work:
>
> <iq from='juliet at capulet.com/balcony' to='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
>     type='result' id='ibb1'>
>   <data xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/ibb' sid='mySID' seq='0'>
> </iq>

Well, I don't think that XEP-0047 would allow such a response. It is
not clear in the XEP that a client should reply including a <data>
element preserving 'sid' and 'seq'. So, most clients wouldn't do that,
preventing our implementation to interoperate.
Am I right?

However, allowing that type of response would be great, since it would
make our implementation easier. Having to encoding every meaningful
piece of data into 'iq' is a little painful, especially for message
filtering.

Best regards,

William.