[Standards] XEP-0045: roomnick case

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Thu Jul 19 20:53:49 UTC 2007

> Currently in XEP-0045, roomnicks are case-sensitive. To be precise
> roomnicks are handled according to the Resourceprep profile of
> stringprep:
>
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#bizrules-jids
>
> This means that the following roomnicks are all different:
>
> StPeter
> stpeter
> STPETER
>
> Some people have pointed out that this can be confusing to end users.
>
> We could solve it by applying the Nodeprep profile of stringprep, but
> that would forbid things like whitespace and the ' and : characters.
> (Naturally, those characters could be escaped using XEP-0106 if
> desired.)
>
> Thoughts?

My thought is that if roomnicks are to be treated as generic
resources, then we should rethink the idea that resources are not
visibly meaningful to the end user.  (In most cases, I'm in favor of
the resources being visually meaningless, but the same rules do not
apply to roomnicks.)

Otherwise, I think we may want to come up with a separate 'visually
identifying resource' profile which is basically a case-insensitive
resourceprep, and use that for MU-C roomnicks, cooperative-browsing/
virtual chatroom roomnicks, and so on.