[Standards] XEP-0045: direct invitations

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Fri Jul 20 08:55:01 UTC 2007

Hello

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:04:11AM +0100, Ian Paterson wrote:
>  Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
> >> So just one last question - how does a client know, when to send direct
> >> or usual presence?
> >> Sends both?
> >>
> > Perhaps. Inviting people to rooms happens infrequently enough that it's
> > not a bandwidth issue. But it may be confusing for the receiving client
> > to get two invitations. Then do we need some logic for checking
> > duplicate invitations? Ick.
> >

>  This is definitely "Ick". But the other options (Aunt Tillie decides or
>  hardcode @gmail.com) are even worse.

If the direct was not <invite/>, but something else, like
<directinvite/> - old clients that do not know it would ignore them as
they do not know them (anyway, they would try to connect to the inviter,
not the muc, by the "from" address). And client that "knows" would
receive it, show it to user and while waiting, if the user accepts, the
normal one could come, so it would take its' data as relevant instead of
the direct ones.

So old client without block would receive the normal one and throw the
direct one away, new one without block receives both and acts according
to the normal, new one with block gets only direct and old one with
block is out of luck anyway no matter what we do. Right?

--
There's the light at the end of the the Windows.
   -- Havlik Denis

Michal 'vorner' Vaner