[Standards] Handling for characters that have entities, but XML does not require them to be escaped

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jul 24 00:41:21 UTC 2007

Hi Matthias!

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
>>> I it really necessary, that RFC 3920bis mandates a server to reject such
>>> XMPP streams? I very much dislike this requirement, as it would require
>>> me to implement my own XML parser, as I don't know any parser I could
>>> use, that could be configured to notice me that these characters have
>>> been received unescaped.
>> If we change the text regarding restricted XML features (i.e., say that
>> the characters that don't need to be escaped in XML don't need to be
>> escaped in XMPP), would you still object to the error handling?
>
> Yes. In that case we would be able to use most (push) SAX parsers.

Yes, you would still object? Or yes, you think that's fine? Please
choose one (phrased better this time):

If we specify that you must escape only the characters that the XML
specification says you must escape, then:

(1) I think the stream error handling now in rfc3920bis is OK.

(2) I think the stream error handling now in rfc3920bis is evil.

> (Well one question left: Is RFC3920bis forbidding numeric character
> references?

No!

https://stpeter.im/