[Standards] SASL protocol errors reporting

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jul 25 22:48:56 UTC 2007

Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> Dnia 25-07-2007, śro o godzinie 09:32 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre
> napisał(a):
>>> The actual problem is described on
>> http://jabberd2.xiaoka.com/ticket/116
>
>> What do you mean by "malformed challenge"?
>
> The contents of the BASE64 encoded data is somehow unparsable by the
> underlying SASL layer. Ex. the MD5 hash is not really an MD5 hash. Or
> there is a syntax error in the tokens, or ...

If the data uses the wrong encoding, the proper error condition is
incorrect-encoding.

If the data is encoded correctly but the data is bad, the proper error
condition is malformed-request.

>> We have a malformed-request error here:
>> http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3920bis-03.html#sasl-errors-malformed-request
>
> The XMPP request itself isn't malformed. It is the BASE64 encoded SASL
> data that is wrong. Does the malformed-request regard also the SASL
> layer data? It is not clear to me.

Yes. The request can be malformed even if the XML is correct. So this
error is used for both XML problems and payload problems as you describe
above. We can make this clearer in the spec.

/psa