[Standards] mutual authentication and XEP 178

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Fri Jul 27 03:43:14 UTC 2007

Toly Menn wrote:
>> An XML stream always goes in one direction, it's just that in the c2s
>
>> case both streams go over the same TCP connection, whereas in the s2s
>
>> case there are two TCP connections. However, as Justin says, the
>
>> directionality matters only for the sending of stanzas, not for the
>
>> sending of XML elements that are used to establish the stream. I'll
>
>> clarify this in the -04 version of rfc3920bis, and will post to the list
>
>> once I have proposed text.
>

>> /psa
>

> Going back to StPeter’s original example of the s2s case, server 1 (s1)
> sends STANZAs to server 2 (s2) over TCP connection 1 (t1), s2 sends
> STANZAs to s1 over TCP connection 2 (t2).  I just wanted to confirm that
> this applies to ALL stanzas, including IQ stanzas.  So if s1 sends s2 an
> IQ stanza of type “set” over t1, s2 will reply to s1 to that “set” with
> a “result” stanza over t2?  Either way, this may be a good clarification
> in 3920bis as well.

You are right.
The reference to http in 3920 might be slightly confusing, but the
intent is that all stanza's from server to the remote server goes only
over the outbound connection.
And server will recieve stanza's only over the inbound socket - after
the session has been established. That is, you could have stanza's
exchanged both ways over an s2s stream before session establishment is
complete.

Regards,
Mridul