[Standards] JID Escaping

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jul 27 20:32:39 UTC 2007

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Robin Redeker schrieb:
>> I propose to rename the XEP to make clear that this escaping/unescaping should
>> only happen in very rare cases (only at gateways or heavily specialized client
>> frontends). And that the terms 'escaping' and 'unescaping' are replaced by
>> 'mapping' and 'unmapping', because thats what is happening here.
>
> +100

Well, it's interesting, on the ejabberd list today someone said they
have an existing database of 45k email users and they want to offer
Jabber services to that user population, but re-use the same usernames.
I'm sure they have some users in there with addresses containing
characters like single quote, e.g., tim.o'reilly at domain.tld. In which
case I bet that they'll be interested in using JID Escaping.

I really feel that this discussion is not going anywhere. The spec is
IMHO pretty clear. If you don't like the spec, don't implement it.

/psa

https://stpeter.im/