[Standards] <[CDATA[ in XMPP

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Mon Jul 30 23:35:40 UTC 2007

Hello,

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 09:58:34PM +0200, Andreas Monitzer wrote:

> It's said that XMPP is just 'an application' or 'a subset' of XML.

An application and a subset are different things. An application means
that you support all the standard you rely on. A subset means you
support
only a part of it.

> And
> I heard from some people that XMPP's "XML" was even simplified to
> allow

Supporting CDATA is one of the way for efficiency as it simplify
escaping.

>> absolutely necessary (e.g. programming for a platform where no XML
>> parser is available), since these kind of implementations are bound
>> to contain serious issues
>
>> (XML is much more complicated than people think).
>
> I very much agree with that observation :-)

So am I, but we are talking here about escaping characters. If one
part of
XML is simple, the CDATA section is one of them.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.process-one.net/