[Standards] <[CDATA[ in XMPP

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Tue Jul 31 14:07:08 UTC 2007

Hello,

Le 31 juil. 07 à 15:22, Sergei Golovan a écrit :

> The main mistake you did (and probably the only mistake, because CDATA
> is indeed a valid XML construct) is that you BREAK THINGS.
>
> Since NO software used CDATA before there's certainly some which
> will break.

All software that use an XML parser to parse HTTP do support CDATA.
Note that CDATA is the basis for example in RFC3923.

> I don't know about others but personally I don't like uncertainty and
> I don't like to search over the software after upgrade to find why it
> stops working.

This is optional in ejabberd development version (subversion).
Nothing has been released yet and marked as stable.

> I would say that ejabberd is not a tool to convince (force?) people to
> use clients/servers with full XML parser. Developing it one must try
> to keep it compatible with clients and not break them.

I never said anything else. I agree with that statement.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.process-one.net/