[Standards] JID Escaping

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jul 31 20:06:26 UTC 2007

Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>>
>>> IMO, (un)escaping should only be done by the entities which need to do
>>> so - we should not mix a routing construct with display.
>>
>> Sure. We never mess with the routing. From the client perspective,
>> XEP-0106 is only for display purposes.
>
> From a routing/resolution point of view, this xep makes a lot of sense.
> There are much better and more unambiguous ways to handle display
> problem - nick, roster, jud, etc.

Well, I agree that if you have better information you should display it,
such as:

1. the value of the 'name' attribute from the roster ("petname")

2. contact's nickname

3. information from JUD or LDAP or address book

XEP-0106 is about mapping characters we can't handle to characters we
can handle. Whether or not that is used for display purposes is another
issue. I'm sorry if the display focus of XEP-0106 confuses the matter.
We were trying to give people something to hang their hats on...

https://stpeter.im/