[Standards] rfc3921bis: self-presence

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Wed Sep 5 18:42:22 UTC 2007

> (1) sounds strange, I did take a look at our client, and it was
> just a few lines of code for the above mentioned contortion ;-)

I think you end up doing a bit more contortion if you want to show
your self-presence actually allowing for other resources, though.
Then you have to compare your local presence and priority with the
presence/priority of all your other resources... and even still, you
do not necessarily /guarantee/ an accurate result if the server
modifies your presence in any way (changing priority due to some
service, for instance).

My present solution, for instance, is just that I always add my own
local-presence to my self-contact as if I were getting the presence
incoming, but I had someone log a bug the other day because a service
on their system which alters their outgoing priority/status in
certain situations was not reflected in their local contact.  But,
not getting presence for my own resource, I could only really work
with on what I was sending out.

My issue is not that the code /difficult/ to implement, just that you
end up having to write special-case code which is not guaranteed to
actually solve the special case.  I cannot envision a situation where
a client /breaks/ by expecting this behavior on an older server,
other than simply not necessarily displaying the proper presence for
yourself if you are in your own roster. :)