[Standards] Shared Editing w/ Remote Events for XML

Boyd Fletcher boyd.fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Thu Sep 27 15:15:35 UTC 2007

As already discussed on the list REX is not a possibility due to Patent
issues. ReX is being dropped by the W3.org.

"Patent Advisory Group Recommends W3C Stop Work on Remote Events for XML
(REX 1.0)
2007-08-03: A Patent Advisory Group (PAG) for the WebAPI and SVG Working
Groups has published its report, which suggests that W3C stop work on Remote
Events for XML (REX) 1.0. W3C launched the PAG when France Telecom excluded
patent claims from the W3C Royalty-Free Licensing Commitment. W3C continues
work on a future, differently scoped version of REX in the Ubiquitous Web
Applications Working Group. W3C appreciates the cooperation from the patent
holder, France Telecom, in helping the PAG reach their conclusion.
http://www.w3.org/News/2007#item170"