[Standards] stream restarts

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Apr 29 19:56:45 UTC 2008

A few weeks ago I got to talking with Joe Hildebrand and Travis Shirk at
Jabber Inc. about stream restarts. Once upon a time we thought we needed
them (e.g., so that the server would be sure to forget about any data it
received before STARTTLS completed), but now we realize that was a
misunderstanding of the TLS and SASL specs. So it seems that we could
redefine the stream negotiation process to get rid of stream restarts
after STARTTLS and SASL negotiation. The conclusion that Joe and Travis
and I came to is that we could do this by defining new features for
STARTTLS and SASL negotiation. So a server that supports old STARTTLS
and "STARTTLS2" would advertise both features. If you choose STARTTLS2,
you would not restart the stream and the server would not expect you to
do so. But if you support STARTTLS you would use that and both sides
would expect the stream restarts. IMHO the new features would use
namespaces like urn:xmpp:starttls instead of the namespaces in the IETF
tree, but that's a minor detail (the important point is that the xmlns
would be different).

If there are no objections to this idea, I'll write up a little XEP or
two about this.

https://stpeter.im/