[Standards] shared XML editing update

Joonas Govenius joonas.govenius at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 21:13:12 UTC 2008

Boyd Fletcher wrote:
> we still do not believe that SXE is appropriate for whiteboarding especially
> when scaled to hundreds of concurrent users in a single session.

I actually think SXE would scale to many users very well because:

a) it makes no difference for an individual client who the edits come
from or how many users there are in the session

b) the server (if one is used) doesn't do any processing of the edits;
it merely forwards them to the participants.

c) SXE causes minimal "locking" of the document; only simultaneous edits
to the same DOM node conflict.

On the other hand, SXE doesn't currently specify any access control to
limit who can edit the document. That may be a problem for the kind of
large sessions that you're thinking of.

Also, as Fabio Forno pointed out, SXE may be problematic with a high
volume of edits but, in the case of whiteboarding at least, the volume
would probably not increase very much with the number of participants
because most participant would merely "watch".

Joonas