[Standards] shared XML editing update

Boyd Fletcher boyd.fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Mon Feb 4 22:58:33 UTC 2008

Access control is a big issue for collaborative whiteboarding as you have
read/write users, read only users, and users (like presenters) that can
control the presentation (i.e. page flips and who is writing/changing the
whiteboard).

Also, whiteboards are more than just a linear document of unrelated parts.
It has a very well defined structure and if a client sends out an
inappropriate/incorrect set of XML it can corrupt the entire whiteboard. SXE
can¹t prevent that but a pure server based implementation can.

we (and many large corporations) have operational experience and
requirements for large numbers (>100) of people collaborating actively in a
whiteboard session so not being able to handle that is a big deal.

so basically, I don¹t see many advantages for the SXE approach for
whiteboarding but I can see lots of disadvantages. I would seem to use that
a server based implementation for whiteboarding is far more flexible for the
types of sessions users really use whiteboarding for.

boyd