[Standards] shared XML editing update

Boyd Fletcher boyd.fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Mon Feb 4 23:17:02 UTC 2008

On 2/4/08 6:09 PM, "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> Boyd Fletcher wrote:
>> Access control is a big issue for collaborative whiteboarding as you have
>> read/write users, read only users, and users (like presenters) that can
>> control the presentation (i.e. page flips and who is writing/changing the
>> whiteboard).
>
> That should be handled by the floor control system (MUC or something
> else), not the editing technology (SXE or something else).

I disagree. The whiteboarding component needs to understand what is going so
that it can maintain an accurate state of the whiteboard.

>> Also, whiteboards are more than just a linear document of unrelated parts.
>> It has a very well defined structure and if a client sends out an
>> inappropriate/incorrect set of XML it can corrupt the entire whiteboard. SXE
>> can¹t prevent that but a pure server based implementation can.
>
> SXE in server mode can, but the spec does not yet define that in detail
> by showing server-mode examples. That can be fixed by beefing up the spec.
>
> Furthermore, SXE is now only the core editing protocol. Whiteboarding,
> collaborative document editing, and other technologies can be layered on
> top of SXE (the spec examples now show XHTML, not whiteboarding).

that is a far more complicated approach so now you have to build a server
side SXE component then build a whiteboarding component that jacks into the
SXE component so that it properly handles the multitude of exceptions for
the whiteboard? sounds messy to me.

>> we (and many large corporations) have operational experience and
>> requirements for large numbers (>100) of people collaborating actively in a
>> whiteboard session so not being able to handle that is a big deal.
>
> See above. SXE should be workable in server mode. It's a question of
> spec'ing that out more fully and building a working implementation that
> extends the client-to-client mode with a server in the middle that
> checks and (if necessary) corrects the XML.
>
>> so basically, I don¹t see many advantages for the SXE approach for
>> whiteboarding but I can see lots of disadvantages. I would seem to use that
>> a server based implementation for whiteboarding is far more flexible for the
>> types of sessions users really use whiteboarding for.
>
> That is unproven.

no its not. we have been using a server based component for a year and half
with very good success.

the SXE hasn't been proven to work for complex whiteboarding. our approach
has. btw, where is a current working implementation of SXE or SXE based
whiteboarding?