[Standards] PEP and disco features question

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 5 06:20:51 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 1:41 AM, Gaston Dombiak <gaston at jivesoftware.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> We added support for enabling/disabling Pubsub in Openfire and while testing
> it ran into a problem/question. While doing a round of tests I noticed that
> a disco#info to the server itself was returning a bunch of pubsub features
> even when pubsub was disabled. A brief analysis revealed that they were coming
> from our PEP implementation based on the spec http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0163.html#disco.
>
> In particular the XEP says: "If a server supports PEP, it MUST return an
> identity of "pubsub/pep" (as well as a list of the namespaces and other features
> it supports, including all supported XEP-0060 features):"
>
> So the question is: What happens if pubsub is disabled? Should the pubsub
> features still be returned since they belong to the PEP feature? My understanding
> from the spec is that the answer is yes but wanted to double check it.
>
> Thanks,
>
>   -- Gato

Well, enabling and disabling has never been described by a XEP as far
as I know. Enabling would just mean you support it, disabling you
don't support it and ignore all code parts of the XEP's
implementation. Doing so you wouldn't see the disco features which is
the right way since there isn't an active PEP implementation available
at the server. This is the same with components; you don't announce
MUC or PubSub components in disco responses when the actual components
aren't there.

Tobias