[Standards] shared XML editing update

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:05:48 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 12:05 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> Right. We might want something different from SXE for state sync. I've
> heard from one of the authors of XEP-0204 (Collaborative Data Objects)
> that their needs are slightly different from SXE, too.

Here some REST approach could make sense: an extensible set of actions
(basically, get, set, delete, put) made on resources identified by the
pair (jid, node) so that the framework can be eaisly intengrated with
node and item discovery.

> I get the sense that you want something like REX:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rex/
>
> Unfortunately they had to stop working on that because of patent problems:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2006/rex-pag/rex-pag-report.html

It seems that some development on REX 2.0 is still going on here:

http://www.w3.org/2007/uwa/Activity.html

And from the charter the scope of the initiative seems targeting the
same problems I'm trying to address with xmpp widgets. I think I've
just won a bunch of new documents to read and a mailing list to
follow...

> > Another thing I'd like see for widgets, and that's not necessary for
> > whiteboarding and shared editing, is the possibility to automatically
> > start document synchronizations with presence or pubsub events. Think
> > for example a news reader based on a widget: the client should be able
> > to receive all updates when going online (with a particular resource),
> > without explicetely restarting a new session, and the service should
> > be able to exploit pubsub for publishing new items, without keeping
> > track of all client subscriptions.
>
> Yes, that kind of approach might make more sense in a MUC room or at a
> dedicated whiteboarding server. It would be good to build that in.

Think also of a microblogging platform being able of displaying
enanched posts (why not only text as in jaiku? because i'd like to be
able to include also  multimedia content taken on road by cell phones)
or of a rpg game requiring some interaction steps whose ui could be
displayed with this system. It would be convenient to send the the "ui
screen" and the single items to be displayed in two different
channels: the ui screen with all the controls directly to the client
when adding the service, while the items (e.g. the posts) can be sent
via pubsub.

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com