[Standards] [xmppwg] encapsulating NodeIDs in XMPP URIs

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Thu Feb 7 14:33:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 09:37 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> [..]
>
> So if there is no node identifier involved, are you suggesting that we
> would do (2) instead of (1) below?
>
> 1. xmpp:ralphm at ik.nu
> 2. xmpp:ralphm at ik.nu?
>
> How do we know that the query type is indeed empty? Do we need to do (3)
> instead?
>
> 3. xmpp:ralphm at ik.nu?;

Easy, there is no URI query component in 1). I've always said that
applications that want to deference an XMPP URI like 1), should do
Service Discovery on the entity's JID that is identified by the URI, and
present the user possible actions based on that.

For example, you can have a URI like <xmpp:jdev at conference.jabber.org>.
>From the URI alone, the application cannot know if this is a user's IM
account or a MUC room. Depending on the disco identity, an application
can present the action "open a chat to this user", or "add this user to
my roster", or "add this room to my roster" or "join this room".

--
Groetjes,

ralphm