[Standards] [jdev] Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Feb 14 15:39:21 UTC 2008

> agree, my point of view is just that binary xml is not the only issue
> with mobile terminals, there is a wider set of problems to be
> considered for optimizing the connection (some such as stanza
> acknowledgments are already there, though I don't know how many
> servers handle them, others such as limiting the initial roster and
> presence burst aren't addressed well now)

Ive been thinking on this myself and i've come to the conclusion that
something along the lines of BOSH would probably be best where the
mobile devices connection to the server is being proxied on the server,
because for mobile devices I would have thought you'd want to be able to
lock down the stuff that is sent between the mobile device and the
server, things like disco and caps and whatnot you would probably want
to be replied to by the proxy and never getting to the client, you would
probably also want any protocols that the mobile device doesn't
understand/support filtered out so they never reach the client too to
reduce bandwidth waste, and of course if you are implementing a proxy
specially for mobile devices you can have an nice optimized compressed
wire protocol without needing to make extensive changes to the standard
XMPP protocol as the proxy will just convert between them for the mobile
device.

Richard