[Standards] mobile optimizations (was: Re: Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?)

Aki Niemi aki.niemi at nokia.com
Fri Feb 15 11:36:01 UTC 2008

On to, 2008-02-14 at 13:08 -0700, ext Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Here's a list of things we might talk about:
>
> 1. Recommendations regarding when to use the TCP binding and when to use
> the HTTP binding (BOSH).
>
> 2. Compression via TLS or XEP-0138 (use it!). Also binary XML as a
> compression mechanism.
>
> 3. Fast reconnect to avoid TLS+SASL+resource-binding packets.
>
> 4. ETags for roster-get (see XEP-0150, let's resurrect that).
>
> 5. Advisability of presence-only connections (no roster-get, just send
> presence and whatever you receive is nice).
>
> Anything else?

Just wondering...

Is there currently a way for the client to put its connection into
dormant mode. For example, when my phone is in my pocket with the screen
locked, keeping the roster's status updated seems unnecessary. Yet, the
connection still needs to be live for incoming IMs and sessions.

Cheers,
Aki