[Standards] mobile optimizations (was: Re: Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Feb 15 11:47:03 UTC 2008

On Fri Feb 15 11:36:01 2008, Aki Niemi wrote:
> Is there currently a way for the client to put its connection into
> dormant mode. For example, when my phone is in my pocket with the
> screen
> locked, keeping the roster's status updated seems unnecessary. Yet,
> the
> connection still needs to be live for incoming IMs and sessions.

I think you mean presence updates rather than roster updates. There
isn't such a way, but it seems like a practical idea. Of course a lot
of clients have buddy-pounce functionality which can be useful, so
you'd need to cater for this, but a first step would be that if you
want buddy-pounces, then you'd not make the connection dormant.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/