[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0171 (Language Translation)

Fletcher, Boyd C. CIV US USJFCOM JFL J9935 Boyd.Fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Mon Feb 18 13:17:07 UTC 2008

True xml:lang isn't a perfect solution but it does provide a fairly easy way to support designating which language you are speaking without changing the protocol. We handle multiple langs in a single message buy using mutiple <message> stanzas each with their own xml:lang attribute. In our client we provide a drop down that let's the user select the lang for each message sent. You can try it out by downloading our client from https://xmpp.je.jfcom.mil

If you are using multiple langs within the same stanza then you're out of luck.

We have been using this approach for 2 years in production environments with a high degree of success.

Boyd