[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0171 (Language Translation)

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Mon Feb 18 13:39:48 UTC 2008

Fletcher, Boyd C. CIV US USJFCOM JFL J9935 pisze:
> True xml:lang isn't a perfect solution but it does provide a fairly
> easy way to support designating which language you are speaking
> without changing the protocol.

I didn't mean to say that xml:lang is a bad way to mark content
language. I just wanted to say that it may be hard for clients to
determine the right value without annoying users.

 > In our client we provide a drop down that let's
> the user select the lang for each message sent.

Yes, I guess this would be the way to implement this...

> We have been using this approach for 2 years in production
> environments with a high degree of success.

... but I cannot imagine why would users "waste" their time choosing
language from the drop down, if it doesn't really change anything for
them (setting correct language at my end doesn't change anything for me,
it only helps the other person. and since most of users don't use any
translation, etc services, they won't even think that this setting makes
any real difference for the other peer).

Did you do any training/advertising to get this "high degree of success"?

--
Maciek
  xmpp:machekku at uaznia.net