[Standards] mobile optimizations

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 09:34:01 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 1:51 AM, Alexander Gnauck <gnauck at ag-software.de> wrote:

> the Jaiku guys do stuff like this on their mobile client. They have lots
> of experience with this and gave a impressive speech about this topic
> last year at the FOSDEM.
>
> A extension for this would be very nice. So I could put my client into a
> sleep mode and the server stores only the last presence of my contacts
> (when changed) and pushes the presences to the client when it wakes up.

In fact I wanted to discuss about a presence extension informing other
parties about the connection status of a client: sleeping /
temporarily not reachable etc. This extension could be added either by
the mobile client itself or by the connection manager. Think for
example of a mobile client able of resuming sessions after
disconnections: if the connection is lost the buddies in the roster
will continue seeing it online, not knowing that there could be some
delay before the client can receive messages. Now we're solving this
allowing our connection manager changing the status to "away /
momentarily unreachable" and resetting it after the session has been
resumed, however this is just an hack, we'd prefer having a dedicated
extension for this purpose.

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com