[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Abuse-Related Errors

Unnikrishnan V ukv1977 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 15:25:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
wrote:

> Unnikrishnan V wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 8:59 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
> >>
> >> Title: Abuse-Related Errors
> >>
> >> Abstract: This specification defines an application-specific error
> >> condition for reporting abusive communications sent over an XMPP
> network.

> >> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept this
> >> proposal as an official XEP.
> >>

> > It will be nice to add  :
> > 1) negate a wrongly reported abuse ( after reporting as abuse realizing
> it
> > was not so -like sending a mail with a spell mistake are realizing after
> > pressing send button  )
>
> I think this abuse reporting mechanism would be used by a server to
> report abuse to a peer (via some kind of automated rate-limiting or
> traffic-checking), not by a recipient. Now, errors could occur in that
> process ("oops sorry, we thought you were being abusive but it turns out
> you weren't, really"). I suppose that might be reported the next time
> the offending entity sends a packet over the s2s connection (I don't see
> a strong reason to create a new IQ protocol for this).
>
> > I am not sure we need to get a list so that we can correct the wrongly
> > reported abuses.

I was thinking like the abuse/SPAM report in yahoo, ex: when i login to
messenger i used to get a list of messages which i dont really want ( so i
report back to server this guy is SPAMing . Some time i wrongly report. Some
time i like to say back to server- hey that was not a spam its my mistake to
report. I am not sure got confused between SPAM and Abuse.