[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Roster Versioning

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Mar 10 21:50:54 UTC 2008

On Mon Mar 10 21:33:18 2008, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:
>> 1) How does the client know that it's got all the updates?
>
> How does a client know it has all of its presence?  It doesn't, and
> it  doesn't matter.

I'm not convinced it doesn't matter in that case, either.

> Same thing here.  What's the difference between these  roster
> pushes and any other roster push?

These definitely happened in the past.

>> 2) Doesn't this mean that every roster push has to be
>> acknowledged?  Doesn't this increase the transmissions required
>> from a client?  (Note that the client cannot pipeline them all
>> into the same TCP  packet, because of (1) - otherwise, it'd
>> presumably compress well).
>
> No.  Same as any roster push.  You just have to store the version
> number, and your associated data model.

Newton's second law of iq stanzas states that to every <iq
type='set|get'/>, there is an equal and opposite <iq
type='result|error'/>, though, so surely each push will generate a
transmission?

Using one of these trendy instant messaging things, Joe told me that
nobody, apparently, sends type='result' anyway - is this true, folks,
and does it matter? (I think it's a mistake to encourage this).

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/