[Standards] Originator & Receiver Concept

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Mar 13 18:31:44 UTC 2008

On Thursday 13 March 2008 10:27 am, Max Indelicato wrote:
> Server2 is now connecting to Server1 as a response to Server1 connecting
> to Server2, so how does Server2 know what Server1's hostname is, so that
> it may connect as an originator and populate the "to" field in the
> initial stream header?

If Server1 has an initiated connection with Server2, then both sides should
know who is who (each knows the domain of the other).

I'm not sure what you mean by "in response to Server1's connection".  If you
want Server2 to initiate a connection back to Server1 just for the heck of
it, then you should have all of the information you need to do so.  Normally,
though, Server2 will only initiate a connection back to Server1 when it has a
stanza to send.  So if a user on Server1 sends an instant message to a user
on Server2, and then the user on Server2 replies to the message, then Server2
will naturally connect back to Server1.

-Justin