[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Repeaters

Andrew Plotkin erkyrath at eblong.com
Mon Mar 17 17:38:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: Stanza Repeaters
>>
>> Abstract: This specification defines an XMPP extension that enables
>> optimization of interdomain traffic that is intended for delivery to
>> multiple recipients, using the concept of a stanza repeater.

> This is the spec that emerged from discussions about how to fix XEP-0033
> (or not). Feedback is welcome. :)

What happens if you tell a repeater to broadcast an <iq>?

The naive outcome is that all the recipients send you an
<iq type='result'> directly, each with an ID that you've never heard of.
That will mess with most client libraries -- at least, the ones I've
seen; they expect IQ-results only to IQ-set or get, with matching IDs.

Conservative proposal: declare that you can only broadcast message or
presence.

--Z

*
If the Bush administration hasn't shipped you to Syria for interrogation,
it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're patriotic.