[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Roster Versioning

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Mar 17 22:11:01 UTC 2008

Pedro Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mar 17, 2008, at 3:22 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Pedro Melo wrote:

>>> Ok, I must have been missing something because if you want to fix
>>> something, why not just do multiple items per roster push?
>>
>> Because it's never been done that way.
>>
>>> The argument that diff is complex doesn't play well with me. Each item
>>> is a replacement item, so no diff required. The usual code for a client
>>> "foreach item update my model" will work with both.
>>
>> But clients have never expected multiple items in a roster push.
>> However, that might be something clients could move to if they support
>> sequencing. My question is: will clients do that?
>
> Yes. Basically if I'm a client and I'm telling the server that yes, I
> support sequencing and I want to use it, the server is OK to change
> previous rules if they are specified in the new XEP.

Yes, I know that client developers *could* add this support, but my
question is: *will* they really do so or will they see this spec and say
"well this roster sequencing stuff looks nice but &@#$&?^!@ I need to
modify my roster handling code and I haven't touched that in 3 years,
what the heck is the XSF thinking?!?!"