[Standards] RSS in <message> stanza?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Mar 28 16:38:22 UTC 2008

XMPP Dev wrote:
>> Which RSS?
>
> OK. Point well taken.

I was just pulling your leg. :)

> But I guess the answer to that question (since I'm
> just looking for _any_ info) is "any". :-)

Is there any special reason you want to use RSS instead of Atom?

> Although, I s'pose "2.0" would be a starting point.

It would be quite straightforward to define a pubsub payload for RSS 2.0
feeds, although RSS 2.0 is not officially namespaced. However, use of
the "http://backend.userland.com/RSS2" namespace is optional so we could
include that and hope nothing breaks.

IMHO the result would look something like this:

<message from='pubsub.example.com'
         to='alice at example.net'>
  <event xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event'>
    <items node='an-atom-node'>
      <item id='70b2a83be71dfca04df91133d953fb22b41b4267'>
        <rss version="2.0" xmlns="http://backend.userland.com/RSS2">
          <channel>
            <title>Liftoff News</title>
            <link>http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/</link>
            <description>Liftoff to Space Exploration.</description>
            <language>en-us</language>
            <pubDate>Tue, 10 Jun 2003 04:00:00 GMT</pubDate>
            <lastBuildDate>Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:41:01 GMT</lastBuildDate>
            <docs>http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss</docs>
            <generator>Weblog Editor 2.0</generator>
            <managingEditor>editor at example.com</managingEditor>
            <webMaster>webmaster at example.com</webMaster>
            <item>
              <title>Star City</title>
              <link>
  http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/news/2003/news-starcity.asp
              </link>
              <description>
                How do Americans get ready to work with Russians
                aboard the International Space Station? They take
                a crash course in culture, language and protocol
                at Russia's <a
                href="http://howe.iki.rssi.ru/GCTC/gctc_e.htm">
                Star City</a>.
              </description>
              <pubDate>Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:39:21 GMT</pubDate>
              <guid>
  http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/2003/06/03.html#item573
              </guid>
            </item>
          </channel>
        </rss>
      </item>
    </items>
  </event>
</message>

I haven't looked at RSS in a while so I'm not sure if we could remove
the channel meta-data and just include the item.

https://stpeter.im/