[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: IO DATA

Johannes Wagener johannes.wagener at med.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Mar 30 00:16:17 UTC 2008

Proposed XMPP Extension: IO DATA

Hello,
here I submit a proposal for a new XEP called "IO DATA".

The XEP is already located in the XEP inbox directory:

However, the initial version is erroneously missing some namespaces in
the examples, therefore we append the current fixed version as PDF to
the mail directly to the standards mailing list.

Abstract: This specification defines an XMPP protocol extension for
handling the input to and output from a remote entity.

Further explanation comes here:
We want to do dynamic Web Services over XMPP. For certain reasons we
explain in the XEP we think neither SOAP over XMPP nor Jabber-RPC is the
way to go. We think future asynchronous Web Services can be best
implemented with the session based Ad-Hoc Commands XEP-0050.

Thus, and as already suggested in Ad-Hoc Commands we describe an
alternative data container IO DATA that can transport more complex data
than Data Forms. The specification describes a way to discover the
Schemata of the IO DATA input and output at runtime, too. Thus a client
implementation can dynamically marshal an API for the input and output
of a certain service.

Johannes