[Standards] XEP-136 and XEP-59 implementation comments

Alexander Tsvyashchenko lists at ndl.kiev.ua
Sun Mar 30 11:06:16 UTC 2008

Tomasz,

Quoting Tomasz Sterna <tomek at xiaoka.com>:

>> There's one other idea I have, but it may break backward
>> compatibility
>> and I'm not sure if it doesn't break something else: what if JIDs
>> like
>> 'domain.com' are treated like 'wildcards' (like it is now), but
>> '@domain.com' are considered to be exact matches of domain JID (so,
>> basically, JID with empty user name)?
>>
>> The same for resources: 'user at domain.com' is treated like wildcard,
>> but 'user at domain.com/' is exact match of bare JID?
>
> I think it is counter-intuitive.
> Logic would hint that domain.com is exact match and @domain.com is a
> wild match.
> Similar with user at domain.com is exact match and user at domain.com/ is wild
> match.

Yes, probably, but that would break current behavior for sure, while
the original approach seems to be less dangerous in this respect ...
If backward compatibility is not a problem, though, I personally would
be happy with either way of doing it.

(Yet on the other hand, though, intuition is quite subjective thing; I
can certainly see your point, but the other view might be "if user
part is not specified at all - this means we want all users, but if
'@' is specified - this means sender took the effort to include the
user part, and user name being empty means sender wants precisely
this: i.e. domain JID")

Good luck!                                     Alexander