[Standards] XEP-0235: data forms?

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 17:18:44 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Pedro Melo <melo at simplicidade.org> wrote:

>  I have nothing very strong against Data Forms. My point was that, for
>  clients that use XPath to parse the known parts of the stanza (and
>  transparently ignore anything that the client does not support), data
>  forms are a bit messy :) and a nice semantic XML is much easier to
>  parse.

In fact I'd say that Data Forms are good when you don't know in
advance all the possible fields, or when you have complex input
schemes that must be rendered in clients (e.g. muc or pubsub
configuration). In the other cases as best practice I wouldn't abuse
on them, in order not to be too much verbose (though we may find a way
to "binarize" them ;))

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com