[Standards] various rfc3920bis feedback

Pavel Simerda pavlix at pavlix.net
Wed Feb 25 22:22:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:48:35 +0100
Philipp Hancke <fippo at goodadvice.pages.de> wrote:

> Pavel Simerda wrote:
> >> Piggybacking is the ability to have more than one validated
> >> combination of 'from' and 'to' on single XML stream. There was no
> >> preference of A over B originally, 0.9 streams did not have from/to
> >> attributes iirc.
> >>

> > Yes, that's only what the name suggests.... and from/to was
> > something I first ask about... it actually seems it brings more
> > trouble that it saves... or not?
>
> Piggybacking is going to be necessary in the future, considering a
> limit on simultaneous connections as described in 0205.

Repeating the obvious, er?

> >>  > will further simplify the most basic implementations.
> >>
> >> The last consensus I know of was to make passive support a MUST
> >> even:
> >> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-June/015673.html
> >> Did I miss something?
> >
> > I was referring to what I heard at jdev@ some time ago, ask Peter
> > for details (you'll have more after the council). The mail seems
> > too old to me.
>
> S2S topics are not very frequent.
>
> > AFAIK (and it's also what I understood from stpeter) backwords
> > compatibility is now being solved by *compatibility notes* in the
> > RFC and not by treating compatibility hacks as eternal truth :).
>
> Piggybacking is not a hack.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. It was a reaction to what you have written
and referred to your general statements.

> Would you please read Robs summary on s2s
> issues:
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/xmppwg/2004-February/002008.html

I may look at it, if it makes you happy.

> It has a whole section on why piggybacking and backward compability
> is necessary.

Repeating what I have already agreed?

> philipp,
> wondering about a "piggybacking sucks" note on his rfc3920bis-01 copy

What sucks is the view that is *suggested* by this particular term, not
the technology itself.

Pavel

--

Freelance consultant and trainer
in networking, communications and security.

Web: http://www.pavlix.net/
Jabber, Mail: pavlix(at)pavlix.net
OpenID: pavlix.net