[Standards] PubSub Security considerations

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Jun 12 08:15:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 19:20 -0400, Brian Cully wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2009, at 11:31, Nicolas Vérité <nicolas.verite at process-one.n
> et> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > In the "Security considerations" section of the PubSub spec, shouldn't
> > we warn of the possible presence leaks, since subscribers (possibly
> > not in the user's roster) are instantly notified of a user's
> > publication?
>
> Agreed. This is a subtle condition and should probably be called out.

I think it is a lot more subtle than summarized here.

First off, the basic model of XEP-0060 is that there are nodes at some
service and items get published to it by publishers. Subscribers to
nodes get notifications on every publish, and the notifications do not
expose which entity published that item. Basically, this means that a
notification does not definitively expose an entity's availability, and
not even their existence.

Going further, notifications do not even imply explicit publish actions,
but items could merely start to exist from within a system or by some
out-of-band protocol, and cause a notification to be sent out.

Second, XEP-0060 does not depend on XMPP IM, so entities do not
necessarily represent people.

Third, we explicitly started developing a publish-subscribe protocol
because we consider information like the music somebody is playing on
their desktop, or an entity's location are orthogonal to availability.

Fourth, nodes themselves are not necessarily tied to a particular
entity. In Personal Eventing (XEP-0163), of course, this is a bit
different, because nodes are then tied to a entity's (person's?) user
account. So here the existence of a user is exposed. I suppose this is a
moot point because to discover such nodes, the existence of that user
would already need to be exposed via some other means.

But even then, a notification does not necessarily expose an entity's
availability. The actual publisher could still be another entity (e.g.
FireEagle publishing a location to your own XEP-0080 node).

And finally, whether a particular notification exposes someone's
availability highly depends on the semantics of the node and/or payload
of the item being published.

I think the only summary for a security consideration that covers all
the above is 'use your common sense'. Since this in general is a good
advice, I propose we don't add that to this specification, or any other
for that matter.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm