[Standards] Modifying the schema for auth(RFC 3920)

Mittal Thakkar thakkar.mittal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 06:43:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

The clients using the libpurple 2.6.x like Adium and Pidgin sends the
following stanza for auth :
<auth xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl' mechanism='DIGEST-MD5'
xmlns:ga='http://www.google.com/talk/protocol/auth'
ga:client-uses-full-bind-result='true'/>.
At our server xml parsing fails as in the schema for auth it supports only
one attribute ie. mechanism. wrt. Appendix C.4 of RFC 3920.

Is it valid if we allow any attribute( of other namespace ) for the <auth/>
as RFC is silent about it. The schema we want to use is as follows:

<xs:element name='auth'>
    <xs:complexType>
      <xs:simpleContent>
        <xs:extension base='xs:string'>
          <xs:attribute name='mechanism'
                        type='xs:string'
                        use='optional'/>
          *<xs:anyAttribute namespace='##other' processContents='lax'/>*
        </xs:extension>
      </xs:simpleContent>
    </xs:complexType>
  </xs:element>