[Standards] Privacy lists and the order of items

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Mon May 11 23:40:42 UTC 2009

On Monday 11 May 2009 16:28:00 Waqas Hussain wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
wrote:
> > Can you trust the order of items?
>
> Err, explain to me why you wouldn't. Order of nodes (except attributes
> on an element) is significant in XML.

I've heard that some XMPP codebases out there may (stupidly?) store a stanza's
element hierarchy in a "hash" tree or other, which may not maintain element
order.  So the XML is parsed properly, and stanzas are processed in order,
but elements within a stanza may not be processed in order because the
ordering is lost during the dom->hash transition.

I want to say at least one such codebase was using Perl, where it's
commonplace to use these hash trees for everything.  Not that I'm saying it's
right...

-Justin