[Standards] Name of IQ query nodes

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Sat Dec 18 23:03:32 UTC 2010

Hello

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 04:44:36PM -0600, David Ammouial wrote:
> It is not clear from the specification what the name of the query node
> of an IQ may (or should) be.
>
> In RFC 3921, it is implied that it is "query". However, there's no
> mention of whether this is a mandatory tag name or not.
>
> Because of that, and because there's no example of any other tag name
> in the whole RFC, I would tend to believe that it is indeed the only
> expected tag name. However, several XEPs use another one, for example
> 'vCard'.

It is used and is considered correct to use any name for it. It will have
unknown namespace from the point of the RFC, so telling it the name is out of
scope.

It is considered incorrect to have multiple child elements. Or, the query (set
or get) must have exactly one. Result can have up to one and error can have
more.

It is quite clearly defined in section 9.2.3 of RFC 3920 (XMPP CORE). The fact
that 3921 (XMPP IM, that is „on top“ of 3920) uses only query does not change
anything.

If anything relies on it being called query, then it is broken in two manner.
First, the fully qualified name is never query, but includes the namespace, and
second, 3920 simply says a child element, not specifying which one.

With regards

--
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of HDDs.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner