[Standards] XEP-0184 business rules for message receipts

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Feb 17 04:53:47 UTC 2010

XEP-0184 specifies the following business rules:

***

   1. A sender SHOULD NOT include a request for message receipts when
sending a message to the bare JID <localpart at domain.tld> of the
recipient, only when sending to a full JID <localpart at domain.tld/resource>.

   2. A sender SHOULD NOT include a request for message receipts unless
it knows (via Service Discovery [4] or Entity Capabilities [5]) that the
intended recipient supports the protocol described herein or unless the
use of message receipts is negotiated via Stanza Session Negotiation [6].

   3. A sender SHOULD include an 'id' attribute on the message so that
the sender can properly track the receipt.

***

I'm no longer convinced that these rules are helpful.

First, IMHO it does no great harm to include a request for a receipt in
a message sent to the bare JID, which might be a message of type
"normal", a pubsub notification, the first message in a one-to-one chat
session, etc.

Second, we can get rid of the disco/caps requirement if we get rid of
the SHOULD NOT on sending to bare JIDs. And the reference to XEP-0155 is
not something I think we want to maintain (personally I'd prefer to
deprecate XEP-0155 but that's a topic for a different thread).

Third, I'd be tempted to make 'id' inclusion a MUST instead of a SHOULD.

https://stpeter.im/