[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0215 (External Service Discovery)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Feb 18 14:09:21 UTC 2010

On 2/17/10 10:16 PM, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 February 2010 20:52:49 XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>> Version 0.5 of XEP-0215 (External Service Discovery) has been released.
>>
>> Abstract: This document specifies an XMPP protocol extension for
>> discovering services external to the XMPP network.
>>
>> Changelog: Added ability to request credentials from a particular service;
>> incremented the protocol version number to reflect the new feature. (psa)
>>
>> Diff: http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/

> One question I have is how does a client know how long the credentials for a
> TURN server are valid?  If it requests services at login, and receives push
> updates from that point on, can a client assume that the latest known creds
> will work?
>
> It seems like it would be easier at the server end to have credentials be
> created at the time of iq get, and that the client should perform the iq just
> before needing to use the TURN service.  The creds would have a lifetime with
> this in mind.  And then just forget about pushing updates.

That seems quite reasonable. Now that we have a credentials request
method (thanks to Evgeniy's suggestion) I see no reason for the push, at
least in relation to credentials. Do we still want push in case the
server finds out about new services of interest during the life of a
client's session? Or shall we expect the client to ask about services
(e.g., TURN servers) only at the moment it is attempting to prepare
candidates for a negotiation?

https://stpeter.im/