[Standards] XMPP client-centric? [was: Decloaking and Temporary Subscriptions]

Jason Eacott jason at hardlight.com.au
Thu Jan 21 03:48:41 UTC 2010

Hi Mathew - first of all, sorry for diverting this, thanks for rethreading.

what I mean is that xmpp clients are the only entities with any power.
they are the only entities that can interact with anything on a clients
behalf.  this is very different from the webserver paradigm where a user
remotely logs in and then the server has power to BE the user, reuse
other webservices as the logged in user (via any number of
authentication schemes) etc. With xmpp its also possible to use other
webservices, but critically NOT xmpp services! its not possible for
example for an xmpp plugin to access a users pubsub node, or private xml
storage AS the owner unless the plugin knows the users id and password
and opens its own client connection. You cant use a bosh server with
your existing xmpp account without giving it your user/pass details. It
pains me to see all the cool xmpp component functionality about that I
can only leverage from a client application. I dont know how this can
best be resolved but I really think it needs to be. Allowing xmpp server
level oauth style authentication could work, albeit a bit heavy, as
might other strategies.

just my 2 yen.
what do u think?