[Standards] Why "ask=subscribe" rather than "subscription=None + Pending Out" ?

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 18:27:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> On 9/10/10 11:34 AM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>> Oh no, I just ask the reason for it. Perhaps I missed something in the specs :)
> There is no reason. :)
>
> You're asking about very early decisions made in the Jabber community.
> We don't always have documentation for those, but you could review some
> of the list archives from 1999:
>
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jdev/
>
> The whole scheme of states like "None + Pending Out" was a later attempt
> at describing the way things were.

  Here's why, if memory serves me correctly the primary reason for
some of the ambiguity?  Presence predates the concept of info/query.
It also predates the use of a namespace.  Prior to Info/Query, there
was <ext> tags all over the place.  We actually where using
namespaces, and then stubled across xmlns after the fact, and it
looked pretty close to identical to the ext tags of old.  :-D

  Anyhow, there are several cases where as the protocol evolved, the
'old fasion way' wasn't updated, due to the fact that it would cause a
protocol break between old servers and new servers.

  Man Peter..  That even predates YOU.  :-P  Scary how time flies.

--
-- Thomas