[Standards] XEP-0198 status

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat Feb 12 13:36:28 UTC 2011

On 2/12/11 3:48 AM, Kim Alvefur wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 22:33 -0700, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>> I don't see any description of the syntax or semantics of the location
>> attribute yet.  XMPP URI seems like overkill, but since we need to
>> support IPv6, colon-separated probably isn't right.  Perhaps we could
>> just split host and port into two separate attributes?
>
> Wouldn't it also be reasonable to say that reconnection should go to the
> same IP you were connected to first?

Sure, and that would be the default behavior.

> So that attribute would be
> redundant if you're only relying on SRV for load balancing.

Correct.

The 'location' attribute lets the server be "smarter" about how it
handles high-scale deployments. In essence, these are often done with
what we usually call "connection managers" at the edge, with the XMPP
router behind the connection managers. These connection managers often
have quite a bit of session state, and it is desirable for the client to
reconnect to the particular connection manager it was using before so
that the system doesn't need to have fancy ways of sharing state across
all of the connection managers. Naturally, if reconnection to that
particular connection manager fails for whatever reason, falling back to
normal XMPP resolution methods (SRV etc.) will be necessary.

https://stpeter.im/