[Standards] throttling

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 00:19:48 UTC 2011

On 13 February 2011 00:09, Justin Karneges
<justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 February 2011 12:14:34 Matthew Wild wrote:
>>

>> I'm not convinced that we need a solution for this (I'm not sure if in
>> the real world, a server would actually stop reading from a client for
>> 60s or more). However if consensus is that this is something we need
>> to fix, I think Justin's on the right track and I wouldn't oppose
>> standardising "whacks" (at last!).
>
> jabberd1 penalizes for over a minute, which is the inspiration for this
> discussion.  Newer servers are not nearly as aggressive.  But, from where I
> sit, those design decisions seem arbitrary and there's nothing to say that
> other servers couldn't adopt similar policies.

That's as may be, but I still lean towards the onus being on the
server developers to ensure they don't create wacky situations like
this. Still, as I said, I'm not against a spec.

Maybe we just want a whole informational XEP on how clients/servers
should detect broken streams correctly, and how to throttle with
minimal chance of breaking things.

Regards,
Matthew