[Standards] finishing the file transfer suite

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Feb 14 23:22:30 UTC 2011

In Brussels last weekend we had some good discussions about file
transfer. I'd like to see us stabilize this suite of specs in 2011, and
the XMPP Council agreed when it discussed priorities and roadmap a month
or two ago. Here is where I think we stand (I've listed these roughly in
the order I think makes sense for completing the work):

1. XEP-0047: In-Band Bytestreams
   http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0047.html

Version 1.3rc2 is at http://xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0047-1.3.html

I think this is ready to move ahead, but it would help for a few folks
on this list to provide a sanity check. This one is somewhat independent
of the other specs, so it can move ahead first. (Perhaps along with
XEP-0261?)

2. XEP-0261: Jingle In-Band Bytestreams Transport Method
   http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0261.html

Are there any open issues with this one?

3. XEP-0065: SOCKS5 Bytestreams
   http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0065.html

Version 1.8rc3 is at http://xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0065-1.8.html

We have an open issue here about uniquely identifying the stream.
Currently this doesn't work in MUC rooms because the rule is:

SOCKS5 hostname = SHA1(SID + Requester JID + Target JID)

This needs to be fixed, but I'm not sure what the fix is. Discussion
would be useful. I'll try to give it additional thought in the very near
future.

Perhaps this can be fixed along with XEP-0260?

4. XEP-0260: Jingle SOCKS5 Bytestreams Transport Method
   http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0260.html

Are there any open issues with this one?

5. XEP-0234: Jingle File Transfer
   http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0234.html

In Brussels we concluded that we'll add some information to this spec
about exchanging multiple files by including more than one <file/>
element in the <offer/>, as so:

      <description xmlns='urn:xmpp:jingle:apps:file-transfer:1'>
        <offer>
          <file/>
          <file/>
          <file/>
        </offer>
      </description>

I hope to add that feature soon.

Last August and September we also had some discussion about ranged transfer:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-August/023727.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-August/023730.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-August/023731.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-August/023732.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-August/023733.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-August/023735.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-August/023736.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-August/023740.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-August/023737.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-August/023739.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-September/023775.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-September/023777.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-September/023776.html

A few tweaks might be needed to address that feedback.

6. XEP-0264: File Transfer Thumbnails
   http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0264.html

When I chatted with Marcus Lundblad recently, he thought this one was
ready for Last Call. As far as I know he implemented it in Pidgin. Has
anyone else implemented it?

https://stpeter.im/