[Standards] pubsub question related to notification events

Todd Herman todd at apx-labs.com
Thu Aug 2 14:57:38 UTC 2012

I have been reviewing XEP-0060 (pubsub) and have come across something that is bothering me.

Throughout the document, notification events are highlighted and discussed.  The events come as a Message element with a child Event element that is in the jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event namespace.  This is the case for nearly every event notification until you get to the very end of section 8 in the document.

8.9.4 describes the notification event for an affiliation change.  However, this event notification is a Message stanza with a Pubsub child element (rather than an Event element).  I would like to understand why it is this way.  The section above it, 8.8.4, covers subscription notifications (very similar in nature to the affiliations) and it is under an Event element.

Could someone tell me if there is a specific reason for it being setup this way?  If their isn't, I would like to submit that "affiliation" be added under the Event namespace (similar to subscription) and section 8.9.4 be updated accordingly.

Thanks,
Todd Herman