[Standards] XEP-0301 Real-Time Text: Unicode normalization, bidirectional, right-to-left text, etc. -- Comments needed

Kurt Zeilenga Kurt.Zeilenga at Isode.COM
Tue Jul 3 19:27:17 UTC 2012

On Jul 3, 2012, at 12:06 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Do you mean multiple code points forming one character? I still find the
> use of the term 'glyph' confusing here and would prefer to leave it out
> if possible, because it doesn't seem that we're really talking about
> "The actual, concrete image of a glyph representation having been
> rasterized or otherwise imaged onto some display surface."

I used the term glyph because I was talking about what the user is doing with text as presented to him by his U/I.  I'm fine with using the character here.

In short, I asked: if the user replaces X with Y (at the presentation layer) is it okay to send, instead of sending "replace the code points of X with the code points of Y", the minimal change in the underlying code points (as they appear at the XMPP level), e.g. send "insert combining character Z".  I was mostly concerned about sending combining character without all the code point(s) they are intended to be combined with, possibly leading to inappropriate combining with code points of the markup.

-- Kurt