[Standards] [Operators] Future of XMPP Re: The Google issue

Alexander Holler holler at ahsoftware.de
Wed Dec 4 22:09:44 UTC 2013

Am 04.12.2013 21:07, schrieb Philipp Hancke:
>> It might be easy to send messages with XMPP (as ethersex proves, at
>
> funny typo :-)

It isn't, at least not that ethersex above. You've just missed the
thread in -operators where someone mentioned that small embedded boards
like AVR based Arduinos can speak XMPP, which unfortunately isn't true,
as the example firmware he meant (http://www.ethersex.de/) only can send
simple XMPP messages but not receive or even parse them.

>> least until the manifesto gets in action), but implementing the stuff to
>> receive stuff correctly wastes a lot of totally unnecessary development
>> time, just because that silly need for an XML-parser.
>
> I've spent less than one percent of my total time implementing XMPP with
> the XMPP parser. And I insisted on writing my own parser.
>
> That might mean I spent too much time doing XMPP though.

Off course, XMPP itself needs a lot time too.

But the first hurdle everyone who wants to receive (and understand) XMPP
messages is to get some XMPP-parser on the start and modify it such,
that it can handle XMPP-streams. And that already does cost a lot of
time. And I think most people don't have much interest in writing their
own XML-parser, if all they want to do is to send and receive some messages.

Regards,

Alexander Holler